A blocked toilet is a pain but in this article we will give you a few tips on how to unblock toilets. For serious blockages you will probably have to call us at plumbers Dublin but if you want to try and save some money try these home fixes first. If you don’t have a plunger you can try these methods.
How to unblock toilets.
- Vacuuming. If you have or can borrow a wet and dry hoover or vacuum try using this to suck out whatever is causing the blockage. Wear gloves, don’t use an attachment and wrap a rag around the end of the hose. Feed this in and turn on the power and try to clear the blockage with the suction.
- A toilet brush. For small blockages just plunge your toilet 3 or 4 times with your toilet brush and see if that clears the problem.
- The mop method. Take a standard mop, fit a plastic bag over the end and tie it securely. Use it like a plunger and plunge 3 or 4 times and see if it can move the blockage. Always remember that you will have to pour water in or flush the toilet to check if the blockage has cleared. If you flush and it hasn’t the likelihood is that the toilet bowl will fill and could possibly overflow, so it is better to control the water flow yourself.
- A plumbers snake. If you can borrow one great but they are quite inexpensive to buy. A plumbers snake is basically is a coil of wire that is flexible and can be operated by a handle enabling it to snake around the u bend without damaging the toilet and clear blockages.
- The coat hanger method. This is basically making something similar to a plumbers snake. Carefully unwind the coat hanger, tape a piece of rag to the sharp end, this will prevent damage to the porcelain toilet bowl. Now try feeding it through the toilet. You will obviously only be able to feed it as far as the wire allow but if the blockage isn’t too far away you may be able to clear it.
- Grannies chemical unblocker. Take 2 cups of white vinegar pour it in to the toilet, add 1 cup of baking soda. This will cause a chemical reaction and fizz. Pour hand hot temperature water in to the toilet from around the height of your waist to try and clear the blockage. Leave overnight and check the toilet in the morning. This method won’t clear blockages such as plastic toys.
- Store bought drain unblocking chemicals. Wear rubber gloves, don’t inhale the fumes and follow the instructions very carefully. Again leave overnight for best results.
At plumbers Dublin we try to give you the information you need on how to unblock toilets yourself but if you need us just give us a call on 01-4920077. Sometimes if it’s an ongoing problem it will need a professional to have a look. A corroded soil stack for example can catch things when you are flushing and gradually build to blockage over a period of time. People should be aware of what not to put down toilets. Please read our article , things not to flush down toilets.
Tip, if water is backing up through sinks, baths or showers when you have a blocked toilet don’t bother trying any of the methods above call an expert at plumbers Dublin. It unfortunately means the blockage is deep and backed up so you will need professional assistance.